Steinway 9 ft 1872

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 21 May 2005 20:25:09 EDT

Friends
I'm considering  rebuilding another of these old rosewood monsters for  an
influential client. The only hesitation I have ( well not the only one) is  that
the front of the stretcher has a crack in it and the whole of the stretcher
cap piece  is bowed up about 1/8th of an inch and has a corresponding
separation between the lower portion which is the pin block. The piano IS  designed
for A-440 & is currently stable. It has an open face angled block  with the
plate that does not incapsulate it
   The crack in the strecher, the tension at 440 ,  & the pitch has been
stable for the ten years & holds tune. I've  known the piano. I hate to work on it
because it needs everything xcept a finish  & it sound crappy.
  My thought is to beef up the stretcher by replacing it with  something like
falconwood instead of plain maple and really anchor it to the  pinblock
section below via thru bolts & then re venneer the whole shootin  match.. This is a
massive & large cap type  stretcher. One end is about  10 to 12 inches wide
on top and tapers down to 4 or so in the bass.
  I know we've had some discussion on this before & am open to  imput &
suggestions on this baby.
  Has any one had the whole of the stretcher /pinblock assembly out in  one
piece or in pieces or any other retrofit repair or constuction that would be
helpful in this regard.
   Thanks in advance
 Dale Erwin