split bridge

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rlshiflet@cableone.net
Sat, 21 May 2005 18:33:08 -0700

List,=20
        I got the piano finished.  Sounds great.  The slowest curing =
epoxy In could get was a 45 minute set.  I mixed it well and goobed the =
bridge.  As I tried to screw down the bridge top, It kept splitting.  =
Too dry out here right now.  Then the glue started setting up in 20 =
minutes instead of 45 minutes.  We were desperate.  The piano was on a =
tilt truck. =20
    We ran a pipe clamp from side to side.  We stacked 2x4 blocks on the =
bridge to build it up.  Then we used a grand piano pinblock support to =
crank pressure from the pipe clamp to the 2x4's and the bridge.  We did =
mange to get enough pressure to hold it.  It dried in place.  We never =
did use screws or dowels.  We put the strings back and pulled them up.  =
It tunes quite well and the tone is great.

Ron