Old Steinways

Mon, 23 May 2005 17:14:45 +0100

Hello List and Joe G who said:

>If most of the Manufacturers would follow the lead of Kawai they would =
be able to cut costs and have parts that are consistant >in size, =
virtually indestructable and action stability. As for my original post, =
I was referring to Sound Boards! Because we do >not have Slow/Olde =
growth Spuce available, Steinway's method of Sound Board Construction is =
no longer viable. Hence, >crappy pianos, IMO. Their cavalier attitude =
has always been a source of annoyance for many, including me!<G>
>Having said that, there are still some things that are viable, time =
tested to be excellent, even in todays market place. IMO, >they just =
need to listen to us a bit more and quit with the "holier than all" =
attitude.<G>

I agree, Joe. Maybe I am lucky in my 1914 S&S "A" which has a completely =
crack free soundboard and, being from Hamburg, the spruce may have come =
from the Black Forest. This is the piano I am going to re-string. I am =
about to order a set of bass strings from Gregor of "Hellerbass" =
(www.hellerbass.com)  in Germany who is offering me my first set to be =
ordered from him at half price. The metals I shall use are Roslau "blue" =
label which I hold in stock. I am NOT going to re-gild the frame as I =
like the look of what is there now. I have the full set of keyboard =
felts from Andre - touch, balance as well as front - all in Wurzen. Then =
I shall be looking to replace the hammer assemblies with Andre's =
Wurzen-hung set. It may take a little while before I get to that stage =
as it's my own piano and I shall take my time over it.
The model "D" I have been quoting in the List has yet to confirm having =
the work done so I'm putting out "feelers" on the List to see if there =
are any pit-falls I should be aware of in an 1890 Model "D" full =
re-string.
Regards from that South Downs Village
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  If most of the Manufacturers would follow the lead of Kawai they would =
be able to cut costs and have parts that are consistant in size, =
virtually indestructable and action stability. As for my original post, =
I was referring to Sound Boards! Because we do not have Slow/Olde growth =
Spuce available, Steinway's method of Sound Board Construction is no =
longer viable. Hence, crappy pianos, IMO. Their cavalier attitude has =
always been a source of annoyance for many, including me!<G>
  Having said that, there are still some things that are viable, time =
tested to be excellent, even in todays market place. IMO, they just need =
to listen to us a bit more and quit with the "holier than all" =
attitude.<G>
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police