Express Balance Rail Hole Easing

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 24 May 2005 20:42:04 -0400

I've been pondering a way to speed up the process of using the
Yamaha Balance Rail Hole Easing Tool, along the lines of which
the Key Bushing Iron delivers fast, consistent results for
easing key bushings.

It occurred to me that a 'stop' for the tool end protruding through the hole
would ease each hole to the same degree. A hand-held jig which laid
along-side the key with a screw adjustment was my first line of thought.

Experimenting with a few set-screws, the fastest way seemed to be a slat/riser
(RennerUSA Hammer Shank set divider) placed under the keys and the tool
inserted to that point. (jpeg attached) A section can be done in quick order.

A firm surface for the tool end to impact upon is important (not the
piano finish!)
Same as with (and after) using a Balance Hole Reamer (PIanotek, pg.
D-27, KCS-1B)

This set accommodated a single slat behind the balance rail hole,
another set may require a slat on either side.  Which brings me back to the
hand-held jig with a depth adjustment screw to avoid discrepancies which
might present themselves between differing keystick angles.

--

Regards,

Jon Page
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...