1884 Chickering "Brown" action regulation advice, please

Dave Davis dave@davispiano.com
Tue, 24 May 2005 23:10:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gordon,

If I remember correctly, the May 2002 Journal has an article by Jack Wyatt and includes a drawing of the action. Jack may have some regulating ideas.

 I am working with a colleague who is rebuilding a Brown action from an 1890 Chickering about the same size as yours. Currently the wippen rail is in *overwhelmingly* tiny pieces on my bench receiving new action cloth, leather, pinning, etc. Imagine my disappointment in finding that the wippen flanges are glued and not screwed in. Can't help you with voicing the old hammers, we're replacing the thunky ones. We won't be regulating until mid-July.

Have fun,
Dave Davis, RPT

gordon stelter <lclgcnp@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear list,
I am about to attempt making an 1884, 6'5"
Chickering ( donated ) "good enough" for an atrium,
for not much cost. As all they want is
" background music " anyway, I am mostly interested
in getting the ( "Brown"? ) action smooth and fully
functional, and voicing the hammers down to a uniform,
mellow tone.

A) Can anyone here advise me on the action, or
should I just "figger it out".
B) The hammers are in pretty good shape, but a
tad "thunky".
Can you suggest a preferable method of
"rejuvenating" them ?????

Your advice is most gratefully requested.

Peace,