Baldwin model ID

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 25 May 2005 19:46:30 -0400

Joe, you may be watching all the "recommendations" regarding this piano, =
but you are not reading the original post! The original post said =
nothing about strings breaking.

I need help identifying the model of a Baldwin grand, serial #26263=20
(built in 1915). It measures 6' 1 3/4" from back of rim to front of=20
keybed. There are 20 bass notes, with 3 wound unisons at the bottom of=20
the tenor section. Total number of wound string is 42. This piano is=20
not a reproducer. Someone at Baldwin customer service suggested it=20
might be a model "K". Does anyone know of other options? Is there a=20
specific way to confirm the model ? The piano was apparently rescaled=20
and restrung about 20 years ago and it gave good service until the=20
choir using it got a new accompanist. I need to be able to order a new=20
set of original design bass strings. I would appreciate any help with=20
this issue. Thanks.

 Paul Stephens

And then you say "If the piano was "rescaled", as you say, the =
likelihood that it was an improper scale, is nil, IMO." What do you base =
that on? Why would you assume that an unknown "rescaler" created a good =
scale? Any goofball with a computer can screw things up even better than =
"the original masters".

IMHO, the piano should be rescaled by a competent/reputable piano scale =
designer. The original scales are rarely optimal, and who knows what =
someone else along the way created. Record the existing scale and have =
it evaluated by a piano scale designer - then you will know what you =
have and where you can make improvements.

Terry Farrell

  "The piano was apparently rescaled and restrung about=3D
   20 years ago and it gave good service until the choir using it=3D
   got a new accompanist."

  I've watching all of the "recommendations" regarding this situation.=20
  What hasn't been said is: 1. Is the "new accompanist" a "pounder" that =
is causing the bass strings to break? 2. If the piano was "rescaled & =
restrung", getting Mapes, (NOT my choice!), to duplicate from their =
records, (olde scale), is definately NOT the way to go, IMHO!=20
  You need to find out why the strings are breaking. When ordering a =
replacement string, you need to have the existing string duplicated by a =
string maker that can follow the specific dimensions given, w/o doing =
something stupid.<G>
  If the piano was "rescaled", as you say, the likelyhood that it was an =
improper scale, is nil, IMO.
  If the "new accompanist" is a pounder, then you need to take the =
"power" away from him/her.<G> Also, good regulation will help in this =
case. Bad regulation will exascerbate the situation.
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I