Tools: Who Needs 'Em

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 26 May 2005 05:39:57 -0500

Alan,

At 20:11 5/25/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Has this ever happened to you?

Yup... ;-{

>  Scheduled work:

Tune M&H AA in recording studio.

>Driving time between home and job: A little over an hour.

About the same.

>Tools on hand:

Student model tuning hammer, A440 tuning fork (pre-ETD days), ONE(!)
slightly osified rubber mute.

>Items I had to go buy:

Fortunately, none.

>Tool I most wished I'd had:

A second rubber mute...
-preferably softer.

>BTW A tool tip: I'll never give up my good old Randy Potter course
>"student" tuning lever. Not only did it come in handy in this emergency,
>but unlike hammers with separate heads and tips, this one can be used to
>back out really tight tuning pins without the tip coming loose.

Yer jes not crankin' down on 'em hard enough. ;-}

I've never had a tip loosen on me if I use that double ended tool. First I
spin the tip on finger tight, then, after making a "V" with the tool and
handle, I put tool on the floor and push down firmly on the handle while
holding the tip down.  I've removed pins where I had the handle on full
extension w/o loosening.

Conrad Hoffsommer
It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object realize that you are in a hurry.