Bass Overtones

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 26 May 2005 23:07:30 -0700

I assume you checked for backscale sympathetics in both the bass and
tenor region?  Sometimes, even though there is stringing braid, waste
areas can still make noise.  If the noise occurs on certain notes you
can test by playing (or having someone play) those notes while you mute
off the backscale areas with your hand (in a white cotton glove of
course) looking for areas where the overtones go silent.  There isn't
another musical instrument in the room, is there?

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Bruce Gibson Piano Technician
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:47 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Bass Overtones

Hello everyone.

Bruce Gibson in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada here.

I have a client who has a Kawai RX-2. We changed the bass strings to GC
Piano Co. strings because the client was complaining about obnoxious
overtones. Many of the offending overtones are still there.

Any suggestions as to how I might go about eliminating them, or at very
least reducing them. I've tried voicing the hammers...with not audible
change.

Look forward to your input.

Thank you.

Bruce