String breakage in Seiler pianos

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 27 May 2005 18:00:28 +0200

On 27-mei-05, at 0:18, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Hi all,
> =A0
> Just wondering if anybody out there can tell me anything about Seiler=20=

> pianos, specifically, the 8' grand, model 240(?) made 13 or 14 years=20=

> ago.=A0 I serviced one when it was new for a few years until I moved=20=

> away.=A0 I remember having to=A0stay on top of the voicing to keep it =
from=20
> getting ugly (and to keep the front duplex from sizzling), but what I=20=

> remember most of all was the time I was tuning and a bass string=20
> broke, FLEW=A0OUT of the piano across the room and hit an armoire.=A0=20=

> Whew!=A0=A0 On another visit, a treble wire broke while I was tuning.=A0=
 So,=20
> in 3 or 4 years 2 strings broke.=A0=A0 Then I moved away.=A0 For a =
long=20
> time, I wondered if somehow I could have had my tuning hammer on the=20=

> wrong pin=A0when that bass string gave way.=A0 :-0
> =A0
> 10 years later, the customer finds out I'm back in the area and=20
> contacts me (that was nice).=A0 I guess the string breakage problem =
got=20
> pretty bad and perhaps the tech that followed me, didn't voice much,=20=

> if at all. =A0I imagine the piano could have gotten ugly fairly =
quickly=20
> between not voicing and=A0having=A0strings replaced here and there.=A0 =
It=20
> turns out that=A0the piano has been restrung=A0and some action work =
was=20
> done by an expert from out of town.=A0 :-)=A0=A0 I=A0contacted the =
tech who=20
> did the work and asked if the piano had been rescaled, he said no.=A0=20=

> So, I guess I could be looking at the same problems all over again.
> =A0
> Here's the question:=A0 Are these pianos prone to string breakage?=A0=A0=
Is=20
> there something=A0about the scale?=A0 The piano is played a lot, and I=20=

> *could* be mistaken, but I don't think the problem is=A0player abuse.
> =A0
> Any comments?
> =A0
> Thanks,
> =A0
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> =A0
> =A0

Hello Barb,

It might be possible that the strings break because the hammers are=20
worn and because the instrument needs regulation.
Installing new hammers and making a brand new regulation usually solves=20=

this problem.
I work for the Amsterdam Conservatory, and the last 15 years the amount=20=

of playing hours per day has dramatically increased, the more so,=20
because they decided to open the doors in the weekend as well.
At the same time, the style of piano playing has changed dramatically=20
too, meaning that it has turned into top sport.
String breaking galore.

When strings start to break, it is always a sign for me to at least=20
regulate the instrument, and it is usually also a sign to install new=20
hammers.
Then 'the beat' goes on for a couple of years without any string=20
breakage.

btw, I have had the same with the Seiler 8' you described.
I hope the expert from out of town put in the right strings.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl