String breakage in Seiler pianos

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 28 May 2005 14:37:40 +0200

Hello Vladan.

  I would guess that the string is most
> likely to break when the first reflection from the
> bridge returns and hits the agraffe or capo.

What makes you think it is not the first hammer-string contact that is the
more offensive to the string ?  How can the first reflection be more
dangerous ?  Before the first reflection, the first impact wave from the
hammer strike point also reaches the capo, and with more amplitude than the
reflection wave from the bridge, doesn't it ?

The
> magnitude of the reflection is a function of the
> impedance match between the string and soundboard, so
> it would seem possible that a piano with a high
> reflection coefficient at the bridge is harder on the
> strings.

Ok.  but still, I think the first shock is the more demanding on the string.

As Andre mentioned, regulation and voicing
> would also matter because the hammer dwell time
> (string contact time) would have an effect on the
> damping of the reflected wave too.

Mmmm.  But a well regulated action with well voiced hammers (at least the
way André understands it) is meant to get the most power out of the string,
thus again the most demanding, no ?  Ok if the hammer blocks against the
string, but this doesn't happen that much, does it ?  In every other case,
less well regulated action means less power transmitted to the string.

But maybe you mean this is not about power ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.