Discoloration on underside of pinblock

Sat, 28 May 2005 13:39:42 +0100

Hello Cy and List
Has this piano been subjected to wrest-pin doping?
Regards
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 2:36 AM
  Subject: Discoloration on underside of pinblock

  New customer today with a gorgeous Yamaha C7, 1993.  It was in =
Tennessee for a while, and has been out here for several years.

  I felt the edge of the pinblock through the half-opened fallboard, and =
felt ripples in places.  Removing the fallboard, the underside was =
stained dark in large areas across about a third of it, like a walnut =
stain (wish I had a picture).  In some places, there were thin white =
lines in the shape of the grain, with broad dark lines between them =
(where the harder wood didn't absorb the color?). =20

  The color didn't scrape off with a fingernail.  In the dark areas, I =
could feel ripples, parallel to the bass strings (from the milling =
machine, perhaps?).  The light areas were very smooth.  No other stained =
areas in the action cavity.

  Pin torque was tight.  No signs of moisture damage, save that if you =
caught a reflection off the soundboard just right, you could see a few =
cracks starting to form in the varnish, along the glue joints.

  Any ideas as to the cause?

  --Cy Shuster--
  Bluefield, WV