OT Axim 5

George Takats geotak@magma.ca
Sat, 28 May 2005 14:05:13 -0400

Hello Colleague,
In September 2003 I purchased the Axim 5 hand held computer from Dell
Canada.  In October 2003 the following message dropped down: "Backup
battery very low.  To prevent possible data loss, replace or recharge your
battery according to the owner's manual."
I contacted Dell and they replaced the original backup battery.  In the
meantime I purchased a backup battery from a friend who is a whole seller
of batteries.  He measured the "defective" battery and claim that the
battery is still good.
Since than I bought 4 separate backup batteries from my friend because for
no reason at all I have been receiving warning messages about low battery
charge.
Before I pursue this problem any further I decided to experiment.  Using
two batteries which were "defective" I replace one with the other when I
received the warning.  Interestingly enough when I replaced the old battery
with the "new" defective battery all looked well.  Backup battery showed
100%.  The next time I checked the battery in the system it showed 70%
charge only. (I haven't used the computer at all)  At other times when I
replaced the battery with a "new" old battery it showed 100% and then
within 2 seconds the bar got empty and showed 0%.  This happened several
times.  Sometimes I was able to use the computer with the "defective"
reading at other times the dropped down window kept warning me.
Interestingly enough I have 5 backup batteries (CR 2032 Lithium) which read
being fully charged when I measure the charge with a meter outside of the
computer, but from the computer I am getting warning messages of low
battery charge.
What makes me suspicious is that it happens irregularly.  In another word
this problem occurs intermittently.
When the main battery charge shows 70% I always recharge it.  I do not
drain the batteries.  Also I am semi retired meaning that I do not tune and
use the computer every day.  It happened in the past that the computer was
sitting in the cradle for days and when I checked the charge level it
showed less than the previous time.
The computer is used only for tuning pianos using Tune-Lab.  There are no
other files such as calendar, customer files, etc.
My questions are:
What am I doing wrong?
Anybody had this experience?
What was the solution?