String breakage in Seiler pianos

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Sun, 29 May 2005 12:13:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Stephane,

The problem of what exactly happens at impact in the
string portion between the hammer and the agraffe/capo
is complex, so I only speculate here:

I don't know if it is the peak tension after impact,
or the absorbed power that actually breaks the string.
 In a static measurement, we stretch a string very
slowly and record the tension at which it breaks.  In
a dynamic case as we encounter in the piano, the
stretching of the string is fast and the force is more
like a pulse of limited duration.  Is it the total
energy transfer that matters here, or the peak
tension?  I don't know the answer to that, so the
following is very much open for discussion.

When the hammer hits the string, two pulses propagate
along the string.  One goes in the direction of the
bridge, the other in the opposite direction, to the
agraffe/capo.  The pulse that goes to the agraffe is
the shorter one of the two, but the peak tension is
higher.  So this pulse would be more likely to break
the string if it's the peak force that matters more
(regardless of the duration of that force).  You would
be right in his case, the string would break from the
first impact.

If it's the power transferred to the weak spot of the
string that matters, I would guess (again, no math
done here), that the pulse that formed on the section
of string between the hammer strike point and the
bridge will deliver more of it.  What returns after
reflection from the bridge may still be a substantial,
relatively long pulse.

Also, I was thinking about the observation that when
you bend a piece of wire back and forth to work harden
it, it will break when you try to "undo" the previous
bend by bending it in the opposite direction.  The
reflection from the bridge causes a bending of the
wire at the agraffe in the direction that is opposite
to the bend of the wire as strung.

Regarding the second point (regulation for maximum
power transfer), my thoughts are as follows.  There
are two issues at work here:

First, we certainly want an action that doesn't
convert the player's energy into heat before it even
reaches the strings.  That means, we want to minimize
friction where it doesn't help playing control.  We
don't want key sticks that  flex too much.  We don't
want a capstan/wippen heel contacts that have more
sliding motion than necessary.  Also, excessive motion
of the knuckle on the repetition lever/jack is
suspect.  (Except for Ron Overs' action, I don't know
any that have minimized the amount of knuckle dragging
- I am curious, why?).  We also don't want balance
rail felt punchings that are too thick and action
center felt that is too compliant.  The hammer shanks
have to flex "just so" to aid the best energy transfer
from hammer to string, etc...

The second issue has to do with the efficient transfer
of energy from the hammer to the string.  This is a
separate issue from everything that happened to get
the hammer up to the string.  Here, we have a
difficult problem;  we want as much energy transfer as
possible to make the piano loud, but that may not give
a good tone.  I think the hammer dwell time on low
notes is not sufficiently long to absorb the first
reflection from the bridge.  Somewhere in the mid/high
tenor, the dwell time is sufficiently long in
comparison with the pulse travel time that the
reflected wave coming from the bridge is damped
somewhat by the hammer.  The shape, mass, hardness
(and who knows what else) of the hammer will play a
role here.

I think, a good regulation will take care of all the
factors that maximize energy transfer to the hammer,
but some energy will be intentionally discarded in the
hammers in order to find the best compromise between
loudness and tone quality.

Best regards,

Vladan

==================================

Hello Vladan.

  I would guess that the string is most
> likely to break when the first reflection from the
> bridge returns and hits the agraffe or capo.

What makes you think it is not the first hammer-string
contact that is the
more offensive to the string ?  How can the first
reflection be more
dangerous ?  Before the first reflection, the first
impact wave from the
hammer strike point also reaches the capo, and with
more amplitude than the
reflection wave from the bridge, doesn't it ?

The
> magnitude of the reflection is a function of the
> impedance match between the string and soundboard,
so
> it would seem possible that a piano with a high
> reflection coefficient at the bridge is harder on
the
> strings.

Ok.  but still, I think the first shock is the more
demanding on the string.

As Andre mentioned, regulation and voicing
> would also matter because the hammer dwell time
> (string contact time) would have an effect on the
> damping of the reflected wave too.

Mmmm.  But a well regulated action with well voiced
hammers (at least the
way André understands it) is meant to get the most
power out of the string,
thus again the most demanding, no ?  Ok if the hammer
blocks against the
string, but this doesn't happen that much, does it ?
In every other case,
less well regulated action means less power
transmitted to the string.

But maybe you mean this is not about power ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.