Monitoring Temperature & Humidity

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 31 May 2005 09:22:14 -0700

Monitoring Temperature & HumidityJP,
Thank you for the timely information!<G> The "senior drift" thing is =
particularly of interest to me. As I've had my unit for many years, it =
is likely that it is no longer close to being accurate! Yikes!<G> I =
suspect I better get with the program and update ASAP.
As I think this information is very important, I'm forwarding this to =
the list. I hope you don't mind.<G>
Monitoring of temp/humid has always been a thing with me. It helps us =
understand why a particular piano won't stay in tune and helps the =
client(s) keep their home healthy for them, as well as their piano. Much =
thanks for the post!!!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: James Mulkey=20
  To: joegarrett@earthlink.net=20
  Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 7:20 AM
  Subject: Monitoring Temperature & Humidity

  Joe,=20

  I am a "lurker" on the PTG PianoTech forum.=20
  I read your post to Julia on this topic. I would agree that a =
temperature/humidity meter is better than doing nothing at all to =
monitor the piano's environment.  My experience with Radio Shack =
products has not been good.  The two I bought from Radio Shack were way =
out of calibration for humidity compared to the Oregon Scientific and =
other brands I've owned.

  The best, but most expensive (ca. $300), temp/humidity monitoring =
device I have so far encountered are Temp/Humidity Data Loggers.  These =
devices are easy to use;  automatically record temp/humidity data;  =
quite accurate -- some are calibrated against a NIST (National Institute =
of Standards and Technology) standard; and provide a lot of data points =
to evaluate.  I am currently using a HOBO Data Logger, Model H14-001, =
made by Onset. (This model was recommended by one of the guys that work =
for Dampp-Chaser.  It is the measuring device they use at their factory =
test facility to evaluate the DC's performance.)

  What sold me on this particular data logger is that it has a =
user-replaceable humidity sensor.  As you may know, all electronic =
humidity measuring devices require periodic re-calibration due to a =
phenomenon called "senor drift".  They drift at a rate of 1 to 3 percent =
per year.  You must either send the device to the manufacturer for =
recalibration and replace the humidity sensor yourself with a =
pre-calibrated sensor purchased from the manufacturer. =20

  The software package that comes with the data logger graphically =
depicts temp/humidity fluctuations.  Mine is set up to record at =
4-minutes intervals, 24/7, and has enough memory to store a month's =
worth of data.

  While this device is probably too expensive for most piano owners to =
consider, it may be of value to dealerships handling high-end pianos, =
recording studios, some churches (perhaps), and possible some rebuilding =
operations.  Perhaps a few private owners of high-end pianos would buy =
them too.

  Here is what the graph, imported into a PowerPoint slide, looks like.  =
As you can see, it is easy to see how the piano's environment is being =
maintained.  It's been very useful tool for helping me tweak the =
settings on my whole-house humidifier/dehumidifier system.=20

  Cheers,=20
  JP Mulkey=20

   =20