tuning tips

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 22:00:55 -0700

I mean that the tuning lever works best when it is at 90 degrees to the pin,
i.e., sticks straight out parallel to the floor.  But that doesn't allow
enough clearance so you have to add 5, 10 or 15 degrees.  I find 10 works
the best for a combination of clearance and keeping the lever as close to 90
degrees as possible.  I prefer to use a very short head and tip combo--as
short as I can find.  If you go to a longer head then I would reduce the
angle as much as possible.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Ilvedson
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 8:46 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: tuning tips

When you say tune perpendicular to the pin?  3 o'clock?   I tune at about 12
o'clock to 1 o'clock and I still sometimes have clearance problems (Adam
Schaff...for instance) with my 15 degree head.   If I was tuning at 3:00 I
could see having less clearance problems with a 10 degree head.   My Yamaha
hammer has a long tip and that helped with clearance....

David I.