Idea to make you rich, wasRE: flashlight

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:21:11 -0500

Somebody invent a powerful (but lightweight) light that you wear on your head ... and has some mirror/lens system that detects your eye movements and focuses the light exactly where you are looking, at all times!

Then have a second source with powerful enough LEDs that the light can be sent through two fiber-optic cables that can be stuck in the action and really light it up where you need it, etc.

Or, maybe easier, follow Ari Isaac around and figure out how HE can do it so amazingly with no vision!

I think the way to really learn to do sensitive work in low light--beyond what was suggested--is to practice action repairs with no lights on, in the lowest level of a very, very deep abandoned coal mine, at midnight, wearing boxing gloves and a bandaged right pinkie, while playful bats use your head for target practice.

I wouldn't, but a truly talented artisan could do that while mixing, pouring, and knocking back a steady stream of bowl-sized margaritas.

And to build speed, set a timer for half what the "G" Piano Works guide says the jobs should take. When it goes off, you'll have five minutes to finish and get to the elevator, else it leaves without you.

Come to think of it, that would be great prep for the RPT technical exam--be sure to have the broken hammer shank glued in with epoxy, or whatever that stuff was the I ran into. Superman had trouble with it.

This whole discussion reminds me of a really funny Dilbert where the evil Cat HR Director announces that they have replaced their company's vision care insurance with a new plan: squinting.

I think piano techs have been looking for the perfect light for 300+ years, now, haven't they?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri