Rebuilders gallery at national in Rochester (was News andRochester)

John Delmore jodel@kairos.net
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 11:01:30 -0500

Amen, David.  As one just learning the business, I'm still pondering the
subtleties of the Overs Action (still surfing all the weird patents in my
spare time, too).  The inclined capstan certainly seems an improvement long
overdue.  But resistance to  "improvement" in an entrenched industry is
something I run into everyday in my current (don't say "real") job.  It's
really tough to push an old industry forward-but we must persevere!  Good
luck, Ron, and I can't wait 'till my first encounter!
John

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Porritt, David
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 9:32 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Rebuilders gallery at national in Rochester (was News
andRochester)

Dale:

Thanks for sharing these details with the list.  I believe that if PTG will
continue to support this kind of creative work it will stay a viable
organization that supports the piano and innovation.  Without going in this
direction there is the danger that the convention could just become a dreary
gathering of us pin-twisters going to the same classes, and griping about
the same problems.

Soapbox warning --------

I have been energized by the possibility of improvement in our chosen
instrument for a while.  Now that we have a real, improved,
better-than-you're-used-to piano here on campus I have some hope that this
spirit of further development can really catch on.  One of the many problems
with thinking that the piano is now as good as it can be is that you can't
innovate.  If you change something, that is a tacit admission that the piano
wasn't perfect before.  Fortunately most industries don't have that approach
to their products.  Yes, the overhead valve engine is an admission that the
flat head engine was not perfect.  The MRI is an admission that x-rays and
CT scans were not perfect.  How on earth did we get to the point where we
thought the piano had fully evolved?  That really is a true mystery to me!

--------off soapbox.

Sorry!

dp

David M. Porritt