Paint recommendations for sharps

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:35:35 -0700

Thumper,
I just finished a set of sharps on a Chickering Upright. They were =
Ebony, but weren't very uniform. Once I stipped off the, several, coats =
of "paint", I cleaned with 3M pad and Lacquer Thinner. Then sanded with =
400 w/d paper, (tops/fronts/sides). Then I stained them with Black =
stain. Once the stain had done it's job, I finished with 2 coats of Tong =
Oil. They looked marvelous, IMO. The time it took was a lot, but the end =
result was great and the client was very happy. (The direction I got =
from the client, was to "put the keys back the way they were new".) =
Generally, the higher grade pianos of yore, used very good Ebony and =
it's well worth the effort to preserve them, if possible. Saves some =
smuck cutting down another S.A. Rain Forest Tree!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I