Rebuilders gallery at national in Rochester (was News and Rochester)

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:54:57 EDT

=20
Dave
   Well now that you have a bona fide Nossaman /Steinway D I  believe you=20
have braggin rights about the overall performance enhancements  such a thing=
 can=20
produce.=20
 But Dave, they'll say ,is it still a Steinway. & your  response will be=20
............? =20
  Who cares ,.... just listen to it. What says the faculty? You?
  Love your tude ,dude
   Dale  Erwin

Soapbox warning --------=20
I have been energized by the possibility of  improvement in our chosen=20
instrument for a while.  Now that we have a  real, improved, better-than-you=
=E2=80=99
re-used-to piano here on campus I have some  hope that this spirit of furthe=
r=20
development can really catch on.  One of  the many problems with thinking th=
at the=20
piano is now as good as it can be is  that you can=E2=80=99t innovate.  If y=
ou change=20
something, that is a tacit  admission that the piano wasn=E2=80=99t perfect=20=
before. =20
Fortunately most  industries don=E2=80=99t have that approach to their produ=
cts.  Yes,=20
the overhead  valve engine is an admission that the flat head engine was not=
=20
perfect.   The MRI is an admission that x-rays and CT scans were not perfect=
. =20
How  on earth did we get to the point where we thought the piano had fully =20
evolved?  That really is a true mystery to  me!=20
--------off soapbox.=20
Sorry!=20
dp=20