Rebuilders gallery at national in Rochester (was News andRochester)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:52:18 -0500

> Dale:
>
> So far everyone has loved it.  What’s not to love?  As to the people who
> ask if it is still a Steinway I confess to them that I really don’t
> understand the question.  It is still a piano.  It was originally built
> by Steinway and it has now been redesigned as a better piano.  I just
> don’t know what they mean by the question.  If my Ford has been modified
> with a racing engine is it still a Ford?  I don’t know what that means.
>
> dave

No, it's not still a Steinway. That was the whole point. It's a D+.
I tried to make it into a better piano than it originally was. I'm
working on my B+ for Rochester right now, and it's not still a
Steinway either, nor ever will be again. It is my intention and hope
that it will be better. It's OK though. I have a bucket of leftover
"features" that were deleted from both, and everything in the bucket
is 100% pure Steinway. There are bells, aliquot bars, and a fair
pile of cast iron filings ground from various areas of the plates.
The pianos seem grateful for the deletions, but I might consider
selling these leftover features for a suitably outrageous sum if
anyone is interested in adding Genuine Steinway Features to some
lesser entity.

Or not... I can always just keep the iron filings in the living room
to throw into the fire by the handful this winter. Very sparkly, and
lots of fun for the easily amused. Probably won't try that with the
bells, but I'm considering marketing hurricane wind chimes on the
Gulf coast (when you hear them, it's too late), and they could come
in handy for that. Should work the same for tornadoes here too, so I
might just keep them.

I'll think about it. Tomorrow's another day.

Ron N