Keytop trimmin'

Thos Carpenter carpthos@televiso.com
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 17:53:28 -0600

I`ve been using a laminate trimmer bit w/ the router table for the =
bottom of the key fronts.  Extra length on the tail should fit in with =
the key resurfacing unless you`re dealing with short keys with a quick =
dogleg (just an expression).
Tom
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:47 PM
  Subject: RE: Keytop trimmin'

  As the the fronts, just use a flat file to trim them flush. Or, if =
you're a little braver and want to speed it up, use a Dremmel with a =
sanding wheel. Or start with the Dremmel and do final trim with the =
file. Or train gerbils to knaw off the excess. Your choice.

  As to the tails: You WANT the plastic to go far enough under the =
fallboard felt so that no wood shows. You have to trim the plastic flush =
with the sides of the key, of course. If key thickness is the problem, =
then I ask, "Did you sand/plane the keytops down so the overall =
dimension with the new tops is the same?" Or, I might ask, "Can you shim =
or otherwise adjust the fallboard up a tad?" Or, I might ask, "Why do =
cannibals refuse to eat clowns?"=20

  You don't need a lot of clearance between the key and the nameboard =
felt. (?)  Maybe you can clarify the problem for us ....

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

    ----- Original Message -----=20