reinstalling action

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 22:27:12 -0500

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
1. Ignore the storms and little wars on list. This too shall pass. Enjoy the general commeraderie (sometimes disguised) and humor. It's a great community.

2. Based on past posts, people seem to prefer black type on a white background as colors are sometimes hard to read. : -  )

3. The Jesse French (BIG pianos) action go in like any other. remove all the dowels, tilt the action slightly towards you and place it squarely on the four posts. Ease it into place (make sure none of the jacks/stickers have dropped) and screw it into place.

4. Lie on your back on the floor until you can see where the top ends of the damper lifter rods go and insert them, top then bottom, one at a time. The soft pedal rod is easier.

5. I've seen a J. French & Sons where I couldn't do step four- because the piano was too deep (had been a player). I installed the rods, again top first, then clamped (plastic squeeze type clamp) them to the left action bracket (again, one at a time) so they wouldn't fall down while I got down to where I could install the lower end.

6. If this was a player and has the steel rod trap mechanism, you may have to loosen the square-head bolt at the back of the pedel, let the left end of the horizontal rod go down, position the wooden rod installed at the top, raise that left end of the steel and prop it in position to hold the wooden rod in place, tighten the nut at the pedal, adjust regulation with that bolt if necessary. Warning: If the bolt has dug into the horizontal steel rod (likely), it may lift the wooden damper rod as you tighten it--making the regulation way too tight. In that case, either file on the shaft of the steel rod to smooth it or hold it so it can't turn/lift. Hope that is worded clearly enough. If not try reading it while looking at the beast, it should make sense.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: jonathan stuchell
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 10/05/2005 9:58:17 PM
Subject: reinstalling action

Hello all,

                I am having trouble reinstalling a Jesse French & Sons ( New Castle, Indiana USA)  upright action. I took the action out to repair a jack flange.  This has been repaired.    I am bringing someone with me tomorrow to hold it steady
whilst  I guide it in place.   I have put upright actions back inside before, but not with the struggle I am encountering now.  This action has four 'feet' and it has dowel rods
with pins to place in the corresponding  three holes in the action.   Should I reinstall the pedal dowel rods as a last step?   Or should I slide the feet in place whilst putting the rods in place?   I rechecked the action today and it is in decent regulatory order and ready to place back in.   I have not been on this list in months ( to seek desperate help)   and am alarmed that this list is being used to abuse and malign others for no apparent reason.

Peace, Jonathan

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_84815C5ABAF209EF376268C8--