Mona Lisa effect

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 09:03:26 -0500

Ron N said: "The basic premise is widely accepted without question, and
those accepting it are relieved of the burden of having to learn different."

I think that is a profound way of describing every prejudice, from pianos
to people, race to religion, and the way so many (most?) grow up with fixed
and darned near intractable ideas about the world. Intellectual laziness.
Mental mire. Cerebral concrete. Premature hardening of the categories.

Part of it is anxiety, I think. People get comfortable with a belief system
(of any sort, but religion is the classic example) and are afraid to think
beyond it because they want to believe the matter is settled and done with,
that they are on the right road, as it were.

Now, regarding Steinway & Sons: If your job is to peddle $45,000 (and way
up) pianos that are not proportionately better or more costly to build than
a Kawai, fr'instance, then you have GOT to be a TRUE BELIEVER (or a
dangerous sociopath), else how could you sleep at night. I'm grinnin' here,
but there's an element of truth to it, isn't there?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri