Fwd: Mona Lisa Effect

Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:47:57 +0100

Hey, Ron.N - you forgot that Rolled Bridge on the S&S 'D'....
Michael G.(UK)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Nossaman [mailto:rnossaman@cox.net]
Sent: 06 October 2005 17:14
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Fwd: Mona Lisa Effect

> Hello to All,
>
>    With the Kluge keys,  The Mapes Strings,  the
> Renner Action,   you also have,  The Pratt-Read
> Upright Actions  and  The Aeolian plates.
>
>    We as a society have just about accepted
> that sales people or promotional departments
> are going to lie.
>
>     What really galls me is that a Company actually
> think that Experienced Technicians, mechanics or
> any other experts in their field whether its cars,
> tractors, lawn mowers or vacuum cleaners  will see
> claims such as these as anything other than a lie.
>
> I  personally  find  it  highly insulting, and an insult
> to my profession.
>
> Regard,s
> Jack Wyatt

I agree. Now, how many professional techs have you talked to who
believe the Steinway pitch without question? There have been a
number of discussions on this list with techs arguing against the
least deviation from the manufacturer's original "intent", whatever
that might be. Interspersed, are rants, cries for help, and general
grunching about Teflon bushings, short damper levers, dragging
pitmans, flexible key sticks, noisy duplexes, dead trebles, killer
octaves, wrapped trichords, etc. My attitude is that if these things
are there by intent, shut up about it and enjoy them as part of the
word's finest piano. If they aren't there by intent, then the
manufacturer screwed up, and we should be required, not allowed, to
correct them with rebuild..

Oddly, I don't recall anyone having a single objection to modifying
Everetts, Bradburys, Lesters, and such. For the most part, It seems
that only Steinway had "intent" toward the character of their product.

Ron N