Rebuilding Ripoff

Richard Gullion pianoguy@rogers.com
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 18:18:11 -0400 (EDT)

Sometimes its hard to say where the term "completely rebuilt" comes from. I have clients who use that term, after I replaced a few hard dampers, and tuned it. They call me and say you 'rebult" my piano last year, can you come and tune it. I am not sure how that happens. But I do know I come across 1st time clients that tell me old so and so rebuilt my piano and put in all new felt. How much did that cost I ask. Claiming she spent over a thousand, I dont have the ehart to tell them all that got replaced was bridle straps. I guess what I am saying is, sometimes its the client, sometimes its the tech who did the dirty worjk. IMHO.

Farrell <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:I know. We've all seen 'em. But I still am dumbfounded each time I run across a really bad one like the following:

Went to tune a 90-year-old Schubert microgrand today. Lady said it was hard to control the action. I told her it was because her action had 90 years worth of wear (except for new keytops) and was way out of regulation- likely never regulated. Brought it to my shop today for a full action regulation and refurbishing.

The piano had been recently refinished (no grain filling, no rub-out), restrung (no bridge work, coils half-inch above plate, coils not tight, etc.) and most damper felts replaced (several were orginals or used, a couple flat felts in bass, lengths very irregular, etc). Original pinblock, no bridge work, action completely original and never regulated (key leveling looked like I-75 going into the foothills of the Appalacian Mountains), keypins are severely rusted - key bushings are toast.

Lady told me the piano had been "completely rebuilt" 8 years ago. It had been subject to some water damage and their insurance paid for the "complete rebuild". And she thought it was a good deal because the rebuilder said the replacement value was $14,000 and he was only charging $9,000 for the rebuild. Before she told me those fees, she asked me what had been done to the piano (after I told her the action was all original) and what I would have charged for the work that had been done. I told her it had been refinished, restrung and new keytops installed - that's all -  and that if I were to do those tasks as had been done, I would charge about $3,500. She appeared somewhat shell-shocked.

What a ripoff. Sad.

Terry Farrell

Richard
the "Piano Guy"