The Nossaman Steinway (was rebuilders..)

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 21:16:52 -0500

I wonder, seriously, what Steinway's advertising and legal departments would do if word got out, effectively, that there were re-engineered, re-built, improved, souped-up, Steinway pianos on the market.

Reminds me of what someone said about some big corporation that was slowly failing, GM I think, to whit: "It's like a dinasaur, it may be dying but it's big, it's bleeding, it's enraged, it's still stumbling along -- and, trust me on this, you DON'T want to get in it's way."

Steinway will be who they are, doing what they are, and having the success they are ... as long as the public believes the myth behind the magic.

I'm surprised the 1959 models didn't come out with big fins in the back.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 10/06/2005 7:11:13 PM
Subject: Re: The Nossaman Steinway (was rebuilders..)

 Ric
    Ok throw out better, but how bout I enjoy the musical expression of this  Custom Restored beauty over the other.  Perhaps an A- B comparison of your favorite music played on a really good stock D Stwy piano  sitting next to a Nossaman , Fandrich , Overs, Erwin  or whoever re-designed it , Stwy D, would allow for a fair but subjective comparison. Better is just an opinion after all but it should be based on features, quality of construction & most of all performance enhancement of the whole Beast. Custom stuff usually takes a product out of the realm of hype & into the  realm of folks who are willing to prove it at the starting gate. They don't race horses/cars/boats etc for nothing
  Know what I mean?
  Dale Erwin
As for whether its a better piano or not... now there is a question that
*_I_ *don't understand. :)... but then you know that.

Cheers
RicB