The PTA again

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 8:55:26 -0700

Nigel,
I intend to check your list out if they will have me.  Sorry if we seem=
 so rude.  You might remember your post about your list and how "Contri=
butors are mostly experienced tuners - no one would ever ask the "a cli=
ent phoned and told me there is a sticking note - what could it be?" ty=
pe question!".  I think some might have found that a little rude.
David Ilvedson, RPT

Original message
From: "Nigel Donovan"
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: The PTA again

Hi Michael,

I agree with you--however they can be as "exclusive"
as they wish. If you are a member--take it up with
them. If not--what the heck--let them sink (or swim).

I understand that part of the "test" there is doing a
"chip tuning" which 99% of all tuners in North America
would never do i.e. there would be darn few members!

I agree, Don. I knew they existed many years ago when they tried to get=
 me
to join them. Even then I could think up no reason to do so - they were=
 (and
presumably still are) so "cliquey". Chipping up a piano doesn't worry m=
e one
iota - I did it to my S&S 'A' when I re-strung it just last month. Abou=
fifteen years ago I voluntarily took up a place on a "hammer hanging co=
urse"
at Heckschers in London - one of a series of courses they (Heckschers) =
were
promoting and was the only independent tech there. The series,
unfortunately, died the death. The PTA made much of this course in thei=
newsletter, though they had, so far as I know, no hand in its preparati=
on.
It was my presence that caused them to send me this news-letter and inv=
ite
me to join the PTA. I have no regrets....
Regards from a dark Downland Village
Michael G.(UK)

Dear List

I am so surprised and really saddened to receive such hostility towards=
 another nation's piano tuners' organisation - even worse to hear it fr=
om someone whom I presume is English. Such prejudice is totally unwarra=
nted. The PTA is neither elitist nor cliquey and does not require a chi=
p up for the entrance test! The PTA is there as a friendly society for =
tuners in the UK, for their mutual benefit. It seems to me that it is t=
he few people out there who have very little knowledge of what it is ab=
out who have the problem - well, stay out then! Your loss guys.

Yours, disheartened by your attitude, from a lovely sunny day in Cambri=
dge, Cheerio, Nigel