Help on dope withdrawal

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 07:58:50 EDT

Ron  writes:

<< I tried soaking on a BIG set of hammers that someone had soaked

literally, clear through, with some unidentified hardener. They not

only clanged like a pie plate banjo, but the 5+ grams of hardener in

the bass hammers put the down weight well over 70g. I soaked,

scrubbed, needled, pounded, and squeezed for most of a day and

barely made a dent.  >>

       I think I would have begun with a day of soaking, then tried
rinsing,etc.
       If these hammers had been hardened with shellac, then acetone would
have had no effect.  There are other solvent based additives used, some acrylic
lacquers might not respond to anything!  It is a good case for new hammers, or
tell the prof to get used to the sound.
regards,

Ed