Today's Puzzler

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:21:29 -0700 (PDT)

Tom -

Been calling it 'thump rail' for 28 years, for no other reason than that's what my mentor called it, and it stuck (plus I kinda like the sound of it, too). OK, not a good defense, but the only one I've got!  How about key upstop rail?  In most consoles, the fallboard is hinged to a separate piece of wood that sits above the keys and is screwed into the cheeks.  THAT'S what I call the thump rail.  What IS the proper name, and what is the sentence from the nomenclature police? ;-)

Mark Potter

tom driscoll <tomtuner@comcast.net> wrote:
Nomenclature police here--What the heck is a thump rail ?
    Fall strip felt?
    Tom Driscoll
Subject: Re: Today's Puzzler

Thump rail felt loose, catching on keytop?

Mark Potter

Phil Bondi <phil@philbondi.com> wrote:
This is more for the benefit of the newcomers to the field..but you
seasoned grizzled vets may chime in I suppose..

The piano was 85 miles away..one way..don't ask, but it tuned
fine..client was happy when I was done, and away I go.

I'm not more than 5 miles away and I get a call saying that middle C is
sticking and it wasn't sticking before..yea, and it didn't stick on me
when I was tuning either..weird.

It's a console piano, and its manufacturer is insignificant..so..why did
Middle C stick after I was done tuning it?

Here is your only clue: the cause of the problem was in no way directly
related to any action parts..and it's not as obvious as you think, you
grizzled vets! I happen to catch it instantly..I got lucky.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)