Dremmels on hammers was RE: mini belt sander for filing hammers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:36:52 -0700

<<Oh I know, if they're this bad, they should get new hammers, but most
people don't want to spend $500 or even $250 on their old upright, Hamilton
studio, or Wurlitzer console. >>

You only charge the above rates for hanging NEW hammers???? I get $275 for
filing & reshaping alone! OF course that includes re-aligning hammers to
strings and resetting blow & letoff, and an interior cleaning as well.

Terry Peterson

<BLOCKQUOTE style='PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #A0C6E5
2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px'><font
style='FONT-SIZE:11px;FONT-FAMILY:tahoma,sans-serif'><hr color=#A0C6E5
size=1>
<i>Re: Dremmels on hammers was RE: mini belt sander for filing
filing?   When you file frequently do also <br>&gt;fit
hammers/strings...maybe only on the concert instruments?   Do <br>&gt;you
find you need to even out the voicing after a light filing or is <br>&gt;the
voicing stable...?   Do you use the Dremmel for light filing or
to save my wrist and elbow joints, and all that repetitive motion involved
in filing hammers -- a way to file hammers with a power tool without taking
off too much felt or making divots.  It could be light filing or heavy -- I
can always change the grit on the sanding drum or belt.<br>     I very
rarely get to do any concert work.  Or even fine grands in the home.  Even
the few wealthy who do own fine grands use them more to make their living
room look classy than for music.        I could count on one hand the number
of pianos on which, in 27 years, I've filed hammers more than once.     Most
filing I do is on pianos that haven't been serviced in 10 to 80 years.  The
string grooves are often a quarter inch deep in the bass.  No exaggeration.
Not quite as deep in the treble, but on the ones that need repinning badly,
it looks like someone took a saw and cut a half-moon shape off the tip of
the hammer.  Oh I know, if they're this bad, they should get new hammers,
but most people don't want to spend $500 or even $250 on their old upright,
Hamilton studio, or Wurlitzer console.<br>     The only time I'm doing a
light filing is on a relatively new piano that has cupped hammers (like
Kimball consoles) or has hammers that need filing mainly to make the tone
firmer, rounder, more robust -- just to take off the outside layer of loose,
&quot;dead&quot; felt and expose the tensioned stuff underneath.    But I
will try the Dremel again with a lighter touch, worn-down sandpaper, and in
the direction of rotation, rather than against.  I hadn't thought of that.
  No, for hammer-to-string mating, I use a paddle or a &quot;shoeshine&quot;
strip of sandpaper.    And when the hammers are not angled, both on
verticals and grands, I use gang filing whenever I can.<br>    When hammers
are terribly worn, usually filing them makes the tone more even from note to
note than it was before, because now they're all the same shape, without the
deep grooves.  But on closer listening, yes, they still need voicing.  As
for voicing after a light filing, I don't know -- most of the ones I run
into need a major haircut.  If they're very shallow grooves, sometimes I
will steam them, or even let them be, and just voice.<br><br>    I checked
the Micro-Mark website and they have a mini belt sander, but it's like a
shrunken belt sander for sanding boards -- too big and unwieldy for piano
hammers.  Well, maybe on grands (?)  Not sure how wide the belt is.    But
the Proxxon unit in the Model Expo catalog is on sale for a bill (normally
$159.99).  Looks like it might be just the thing.  It's also a bit big, but
with a vertical action in a cradle, at the right angle, it looks like it
just might work.  I think I'll take the gamble, and if it's not right, I can
use it for other things (a huge power fingernail file, or maybe a chipped
key lip reducer).<br>    --David Nereson,
list info:
https://www.moypiano.com/resources/#archives<br></font></BLOCKQUOTE>