Remedial String Leveling

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:28:25 -0600

Hi Barbara,
The older piano is much harder to level.=20
My tool can be used as a pry tool using the agraffe as a pivot point =
point. I do not sell it as such due to the possibility of breaking =
agraffs and the fact that it can no longer be taken apart for compact =
storage once the wire has been bent.
Also you might try the two fisted-brace your elbows on the stretcher =
approach <G>
Sort of like doing curls with weights.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Barbara Richmond=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 7:59 PM
  Subject: Remedial String Leveling

  OK folks,

  I've been amazed when I've read on this list that string leveling in =
grands is so simple and takes so little time. I know I read it--it made =
a big impression on me.  Well, it takes me a long time and it's work!  I =
push from below, I pull from above. I guess my results are OK, but =
sometimes I can't get them perfect and give up.  My best tool for =
pulling up is a dowel with a hole drilled through with heavy piano wire =
threaded through and made into a hook.  I read the archives about how =
great the string hook Don Mannino uses, <that I have> and how well it =
works for other people.  If I could sing, I'd break out into a soulful =
rendition of Gershwin's "But Not for Me."   :-[   =20

  I brace my arms on the piano, and pull with both hands.  I'm always =
thrilled when pushing from underneath and the tool slips and I smash my =
thumb on the plate or pinblock or whatever.

  Is there a secret or am I just a weakling (and a short one at that)?  =
Is it more difficult to level the strings in a piano whose strings are =
10 or more years old?  So, what are the best techniques or tools?   =
Somehow I've missed out on this information.  It won't be the first time =
something obvious has gotten past me.  No need to get into how to tell =
the things are level, that's no problem and there was just a thread =
about that if I remember correctly (and I've got that tool, too).

  Thanks,

  Barbara (I am frustrated over this and my thumb hurts) Richmond, RPT