Sound board trenching and stuff

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:41:14 +1000

--============_-1082699214==_ma============
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago (can't remember the name of the thread or to
which list it was posted), Dean May floated the idea of trenching the
sound board at the rear, adjacent to A1, as an alternative means to
cutting a full soundboard float.

As someone responded to Dean's suggestion, we've been trenching
boards for many years now (since about the mid 90's). Seiler have
been trenching the entire sound board perimeter for even longer. We
tried this also, but after a serious of experiments over several
years the idea has evolved to that which you see below. This image is
of a Kawai KG6 that we're rebuilding at the moment. The trench depth
is 5 mm, half that of the panel thickness. We fitted rib extensions
and re-crown the board, fitted an Overs action and are in the process
of a full refinish. We've kept the original bridges, even though the
long bridge is a little lower than my preference. We've re-cut the
notching and refinished the board. The plugged perimeter bolt hole
(to the left of image) is a consequence of the Oak rim in these early
KG series pianos. Oak is a good wood for rims but it is prone to
corroding the fittings. Its not usual to twist off two or three
perimeter bolts when removing a KG plate (we replace the original
bolts with heavier gauge zinc plated coach bolts - with dome nuts
fitted for looks - to avoid getting cursed-in-the-box sometime mid
century). Normally, if replacing a board, we would use the Baldwin
plate mounting system. But when re-crowning an existing board we
leave the original plate mounting dowels in place. We typically will
need to pack the stringing pillows by up to 5 mm at the mid-board
area to establish a workable down bearing with a re-crowned panel.

I've taken a series of images of the re-crowning process for this
rebuild. I'm putting them together for a class I'm giving in Auckland
on the 29th. The New Zealand branch of the APTTA is holding a
mini-convention in Auckland on Oct 29 and 30. Anyone feeling like a
tax deductible weekend in New Zealand?

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY