Pinblock Glassing

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 18 Oct 2005 08:57:51 +0200

Hi Joe
As I said in my first reply, I have only used epoxy once for this and
found it just about as time consuming as actually mating the pinblock
the old way.  After just seeing Bolducs video, it seems obvious that if
you do this a number of times you can get real fast at it.  The block I
did it for was a Bechstein and really... if I had to do it over again
I''d not bother. That said, plastic foil would work well as a liner, and
bee's wax has been mentioned.  Its good to be aware that many agents
have rather unbelievable creep capabilities inside wood.  So whatever
one uses it shouldnt contain any greases or oils. No good contaminating
the pinblock. Guaranteed problems with jerky pins and the like that way.

Why not ?   I'd turn that question around and ask why.... in the sense
of whether or not any superior performance is evident with the use of
epoxy mating.

One other thing... the Pinblock must be pretty well mated anyways..
almost to the point of not needing epoxy to begin with.  Plate height
and stringplane angle over the bridge are all dependant on the mating
process.  If all you want is a better flange mate, you can easily enough
use a thiner mix as part of the last step in installing a pinblock...
just before screwing down the plate onto the rim.

JMT
Richard Brekne

While I've never been a proponent of using fiberglass resin or epoxy to
mate a pinblock to the plate flange I'm wondering, if because of the
exigencies of circumstances I had to go this route, what are you all
using...material wise, to do this? Brand names, success rate, viscosity,
etc.

And why not? (inquisitive minds would like to know.<G>)

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I