Pinblock Glassing

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:11:39 +1000

Hi Joe,

I'll second Terry's post. We use a locally made thick viscosity epoxy
filler, but the West System stuff is very good also. The 225 piano
we're building has two plate flanges, one either side of the pin
block. We epoxy fit the block to both flanges. Floor wax makes a very
good release agent and there's no risk of contaminating the pin
block. Only a thin coating of wax is necessary. It doesn't take long
and the fit will be perfect. Its also a good idea to grind the plate
flanges if they have a very rough finish, or there may be a tendency
for the plank to key into the flanges. You don't need to be too
particular about the smoothness of the flange surface, but you don't
want it too rough either. We epoxy fit the plank to the plate outside
of the case, then fit the plank and plate to the case using our
action-strike-line jig for determining the location of the plate.
While the epoxy is setting, the plank is screwed to the plate in the
same manner as it will be fitted in the case. While there's nothing
wrong with doing a perfect plank fit the woodworking way (we used to
do this), I don't see the point in wasting time on the process when
the plank can be quickly fitted up to around 0.5 mm tolerance, then
epoxied to make a perfect fit.

I suspect that a well-fitted plate helps tuning stability.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers