Remedial string leveling

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:24:40 EDT

Greetings,
      Maybe I missed it being mentioned, but the Steinway factory techs used
a monkey spring with a notch cut above the right angle.  This is placed upon
the agraffe with the right-angle under the string.  With a very slight
levering, a string can be straightened coming out of the agraffe or even slightly bent
above the agraffe's hole.
      I have done all my string leveling on agraffe-held strings with this
tool for many years and never had a problem.  Very rarely do I find an unlevel
string in the capo section, but when I do, a small , filed down string hook is
a very simple way to deal with them.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT