Remedial string leveling

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:27:40 EDT

Greetings,
    I wrote:
   >> Maybe I missed it being mentioned,  but the Steinway factory techs used
a monkey spring with a notch cut above  the right angle.

>>Dale writes:
<<  I can't visualize this. Maybe it's to early . How  about a picture or
remedial tutoring?<<

     Um,  my Philistine-blessed, coal-fired computer doesn't handle pictures
very well, so I will try to describe the tool:

     If you were to hold a Steinway monkey spring in your hand so that the
short leg is upwards and facing you, imagine a grinding wheel moving into the
left side, at the top, so that a notch is cut into the left side approx 1.5 mm
deep,(which will reduce the width of the spring and part of the short leg), and
extending about 7 mm down the side of the tool.  The 7 mm is the distance
from under the string to the top of an average agraffe.
   This will reduce the width of the short leg and provide a corner that sits
on top of the agraffe.  To use, just place the short leg under the string and
with the edge of the notch resting on the agraffe, lightly pull back towards
the tuning pins.  This levers the string upwards right in front of the
agraffe.  It is easy to overdo this, but once gotten the hang of, is very easy to
move strings.
    It helps to soften all edges to avoid nicks on strings, agraffes and
hands.
Hope that helps.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT