Pinblock Problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:20:41 EDT

Patrick writes:

<< When I tried to pull the action it got hung up on something on the bass
end. Upon examination I found that the drop screws in the last octave where
scraping against the bottom of the pinblock. <snip?> Anyone ever had this problem,
and do you have a good fix? I am thinking of using a pinblock support to try
to press the low section back in place, and then retightening the plate bolts.
If that doesn't work, then what? Use a grinder to remove the excess material?
And what could have caused this to happen anyway? >>

Greetings,
      First, has the drop screw down there been lowered a lot?  Second, are
the whippens original,(there are many reasons the drop screws are turned way
up).  Are the original knuckles there,(if there are smaller than designed
knuckles, you will will need to let the drop screws up farther.  If this is the
case, you will probably notice that the let-off buttons are also really high).
     And yes,  a small belt sander with 50 grit paper can solve all the
problems of interference.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT