Remedial string leveling

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:21:37 EDT

Ed
   Thanks
  Dale

Greetings,
I wrote:
>> Maybe I  missed it being mentioned,  but the Steinway factory techs used
a  monkey spring with a notch cut above  the right angle.

>>Dale writes:
<<  I can't visualize this. Maybe  it's to early . How  about a picture or
remedial tutoring?<<

Um,  my Philistine-blessed, coal-fired  computer doesn't handle pictures
very well, so I will try to describe the  tool:

If you were to hold a Steinway monkey spring  in your hand so that the
short leg is upwards and facing you, imagine a  grinding wheel moving into
the
left side, at the top, so that a notch is  cut into the left side approx 1.5
mm
deep,(which will reduce the width of  the spring and part of the short leg),
and
extending about 7 mm down the  side of the tool.  The 7 mm is the distance
from under the string to  the top of an average agraffe.
This will reduce the width of  the short leg and provide a corner that sits
on top of the agraffe.   To use, just place the short leg under the string
and
with the edge of the  notch resting on the agraffe, lightly pull back towards
the tuning  pins.  This levers the string upwards right in front of the
agraffe.  It is easy to overdo this, but once gotten the hang of, is  very
easy to
move strings.
It helps to soften all edges  to avoid nicks on strings, agraffes and
hands.