voicing tracks?

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:37:35 -0500

Could these be jaw marks from vice-grip "voicing"?

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Michael Musial
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 9:39 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: voicing tracks?

Hi

I looked at a new Boston grand today.  It was just delivered and the
customer is complaining about a lack of power especially in the tenor.
had to agree that there was no ~bite~ at all when played forte. The
hammers
sound over-voiced.  I took the D4 hammer and shoe-shined the surface,
packed
it by hitting it with the voicing tool handle, and also ironed the
thing..
it helped a little but it came nowhere near what the customer or myself
would find acceptable. Pushing my thumbnail into the side of the hammers

barely left an impression so the hammers seem pretty hard.

I observed strange marks on the hammers that I do not remember ever
seeing
before.  They are parallel lines running down the keyboard side of the
hammers surface.  On very close inspection I see some needle holes in
the
lines.  I have posted a picture of this on the web...

http://neesium.com/flux/tracks.html

Is there some kind of tool that may have been used to cause this or do
the
hammers come out of the factory like this?

Thanks for any help!!

Michael Musial RPT
Dixon CA