Acrylikey

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:15:02 -0500

Terry,

Ah, I feel blessed.  The size repair I did was a tad smaller than the =
corner of the g.  Fortunately, it was A0, so it's way down there and not =
too noticeable (of course, I see it every time).  The second =
blessing--it's an institutional piano--1970s Steinway, so it's not =
someone's pride and joy.  Whew!

Good modification on the key clamp.  I think I'll go downstairs and take =
care of that right away--even though my problem was simply a case of =
butterfingers.

Those are pretty big chunks.  I'm afraid it looks like some new keytops =
are called for.  Hope I'm mistaken! =20

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 9:44 AM
  Subject: Re: Acrylikey

  Don't feel bad Barbara - this is what happens when 44 Yamaha C3 keys =
unexpectedly meet up with a marble floor - plus about a dozen keys with =
smaller chips in the front edge like the E on the right. The keys fell =
because a nylon strap on the Spurlock Key Clamp pulled over its =
retaining screw. BOOM!

  snip

  I think I have fixed the problem by installing larger retaining =
washers between the screws and the nylon strap.

  snip

  This is the first time I've ever had a problem with any Surlock =
Specialty Tool product. I think I have at least one of everything he =
sells and have otherwise been very pleased with all his products.

  Stuff happens.

  Terry Farrell
    ----- Original Message -----=20

    It must depend on the keytop.  I, ahem, dropped a key (hit the =
concrete floor---groan) and used it to repair a pretty good sized chunk. =
 The color was, as someone else said, a little on the yellow side.

    Barbara Richmond, RPT