Pulling my hair out (what's left of it anyway)

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:47:35 -0300

The worst player story, I have is, as follows.
Lady called, and said "do you repair player pianos" I said yes.
She then told me her son, had taken it apart, and couldn't get it together
again.
I assumed, disconnected the hoses, and couldn't figure out where they went.
Easy one, I thought.
Wrong.
I got there, and she showed me a few boxes, and a big jar, with a lot of
screws.
He had stripped the upper action right down, and what I had was all the
screws mixed up, all the bellows material, and hinges, had been removed, so
I had a pile of wooden parts. Nothing had been numbered or, sorted. Just
getting the screws, sorted by size took a while.
I told her, I would try, and wouldn't give her a time frame, or firm price.
I spent a whole winter, doing it in my spare time.
I got it working. I couldn't charge for the time it took me, but it was a
learning experience. There was a lot of trial and error.
I hadn't been working on players that long. It would not take me as long
now.
Wait a minute, that is a lie. I wouldn't accept the job to do now. :-)
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca