Strate Mate...Was Remedial String Leveling

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:25:07 -0500

Ed has put this well.  The strate-mate is a good way to take out the
curve that is causing termination noise.  Fine leveling involves more.

Having the strate-mate parallel to the key-bed ensures that it won't
be inducing out-of-level conditions.  I find it works well around the
capos.  I came back with the hook and level and had to touch up three
or four strings.

Where I had trouble was with the bichord and trichord agraffes.  When
I had taken up the curve in the strings they ran relatively straight
from the holes in the agraffes.  Problem was, despite the reputedly
fine make, the holes in the agraffe were not level.  Having already
taken up the slack made by the stiffness of the strings, I had much
less to work with when fine-leveling.  On some of the worst I had to
accept "half-way-there".  I will be doing those with a level and hook
only in the future to avoid losing room for adjustment.  Simply a
strategy to get as close to level together for the benefit of damping
and hammer mating.  Some of those strings, "apostrophes", won't get
any curve taken out of them.  Not-ideal, but that is the best that
can be got out of the piano with the less-then-ideal part.

Andrew