Another very good reason to find a hide gluesubstitute....

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:24:34 -0500

Gelatin (therefore Jell-O) comes from all cutaneous and connective tissue from any animal, hence derived from boiled bones, skin, and connective tissue. Cattle is the primary source, as they are large and frequent--albeit involuntary--participants in the food chain. Yummy, eh?

If you, like me, are sick to death of "Rich Chocolaty Ovaltine" commercials, you might join me in yelling back at the radio: "Hey, do you guys still make that stuff out of horse hooves?" Apparently it has gelatin in it. The label used to say it contained beef byproducts ...

There is stuff in a tube you can get at the meat department that is a Mexican delicacy. It is made from pork and the label lists the first three ingredients in this order: "Salivary glands, lymph nodes, and jowl fat." No kidding!

It's like the old joke(?) -- A: What are hot dogs made of?  A: Lips and rectums. And the motto of the hot dog industry? "If it moves, it's meat."

Oh well, waste not, want not. Kind of makes one "want not."

Cookout, anyone? "Charbroiled tofu slice for you, young man?"

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri