Upright Hammer Shanks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:10:06 -0400

David,

I suspect Joe is on the right track. I wonder what kind of pianos Duaine's
mentor commonly replaces hammers on.....

Just because you do something a certain way and never have a complaint,
doesn't mean that it is the best way!

I think the answer lies in the performance sought. If this is a
low-performance piano or if cost is a major factor, it might not make any
difference to leave the original shanks on (if no history of breaks, etc.).
But if it is a piano where high performance is expected, then by all means,
replace the shanks.

Terry Farrell