Upright Hammer Shanks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:51:33 -0400

Gee willikers, please read what I wrote:

"I think the answer lies in the performance sought. If this is a=20
low-performance piano or if cost is a major factor, it might not make =
any=20
difference to leave the original shanks on (if no history of breaks, =
etc.).=20
But if it is a piano where high performance is expected, then by all =
means,=20
replace the shanks."

Isn't that what you are saying in your most recent post as well?

In your previous post you suggest that it is never appropriate to =
replace shanks:

"Interesting, and, I completely disagree with you - checkmate.
My mentor of 30+ years as an RPT, said not to. He has NEVER has any=20
complaints from customers -and- no return calls from broken hammer =
shanks."

And certainly, if the customer agrees to have shanks replaced, one would =
charge the appropriate parts and labor fees.

Boy, you just don't read posts before you toss all contributors on the =
list into one mischaracterized catagory. Just the other day I wrote:

"I'm currently band-aiding together a 90-year-old microgrand action for =
a piano that I spent a good 20 minutes trying to convince the lady to =
have hauled to the landfill....... (I'm talkin' gluing the keyframe back =
together - it's totally trashed)  :-(     Tomorrow I'll be doing an =
elbow replacement job for another piano that I recommended for the =
landfill."

Yesterday I did that elbow replacement job. The grandma was just about =
doing backflips she was so happy. That's cool. Her piano was still =
pretty much crappy. I think the biggest point in all this is that some =
folks think, and I am among them, that it is appropriate to spend a few =
minutes educating the piano owner about the performance characteristics =
of various types of pianos and the possibility of replacement, =
especially in cases where the cost of repair exceeds the value of the =
piano, or when a significantly better replacement could be had for the =
cost of repair, or also when the skill level of the player exceeds the =
performance capabilities of the instrument.

I am a piano technician and one of the services I offer is consultation. =
I find it best for business and reputation to serve the customer with =
skills and expertice - and that means informing the client about the =
world of pianos when appropriate. I believe it is inappropriate to focus =
on the "old beater" as some sort of gold mine that is to be mined to the =
point of no return at all costs, i.e. service the client rather than =
just the piano.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20