Another very good reason to find a hide gluesubstitute....

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:27:48 -0500

> Hmmmmmmmmm...but my question was in reference to your comment about Jell-0....or is it more or less the same substance -sanz sweetener?

Same stuff. Good old hide glue, super refined. Sticks to your ribs...

Quote:

The production of gelatin starts with the boiling of bones, skins,
and hides of cows and pigs, a process that releases the protein-rich
collagen from animal tissues. The collagen is boiled and filtered
numerous times, dried, and ground to a powder. Because the collagen
is processed extensively, the final product is not categorized as a
meat or animal product by the federal government. Very strict
vegetarians avoid gelatin entirely, but more permissive vegetarians
have no problem including JELL-O in their diets.

JELL-O products account for about 80 percent of the gelatin market.

Popular belief has it that gelatin comes from horses' and cows'
hooves. Kraft, the maker of JELL-O, asserts that hooves do not
contain the necessary collagen and therefore are not used in the
production of their JELL-O brand gelatin product.

Ron N