Alan's Maxim and partial answer to: Puzzler for a rainy Sundayafternoon ...

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:38:18 -0600

Alan,

Hmm.  Are you making your adjustment by looking at the jack height in =
the window, or by feeling the jack/knuckle relationship by lighty =
tripping the jack tender with your finger and observing the hammer wink? =
=20

 Barbara Richmond

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2005 9:42 PM
  Subject: Alan's Maxim and partial answer to: Puzzler for a rainy =
Sundayafternoon ...

  Phil has it (I think).

  The jack height adjustment, or more correctly the repetition lever =
height adjustment, must be made before letoff, drop, etc. Because we are =
dealing with something in the order of 2/10ths of a millimeter that has =
to be adjusted by feel, it is easy to have it wrong even if it "looks" =
right.

  I learned, in this challenging little experience, that a very, very =
slight change in height makes all the difference in the world. Too much =
of a gap creates obvious lost motion detectable by slowly pressing the =
key down. But too little (jack too high, lever too low) takes the rep =
lever out of the ball game entirely as far as repetition is concerned.=20

  Now here's a true confession: I honestly don't know why this made such =
a difference, but after much frustration, I rechecked this adjustment, =
raised the lever (lowered the jack, relatively) and was THEN able to set =
a letoff and drop just as sweet as you please. Prior to that, no =
combination worked! Key point: The adjustment on this note looked just =
like it's neighbors--and they regulated just fine.

  >>> I'd actually appreciate explanation or comment from you who have =
regulated so many more actions than I.

  As Yamaha so aptly states: "One large difference between a grand =
action and a vertical action is that the grand has the repetition lever. =
However, the lever loses its value in direct proportion to how poorly is =
is regulated. Remove all lost motion, but make sure the jack can return =
under any circumstance. Then the repetition lever can live up to its =
name."

  So here, brand new and hot off the press, is "Alan's Maxim":  If you =
are having trouble regulating an action, back up a few steps and make =
sure you have good regulation in those earlier steps.

  Might save ya some tears some day!  ;-}

  Alan Barnard
  Still Larn'n, Thank'e, in Salem, MO