Alan's Maxim and partial answer to: Puzzler for a rainy Sunday afternoon ...

Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:54:57 -0500

Alan -

I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't really know already.  It's the
spiral of action regulation refinement.  You say

>The jack height adjustment, or more correctly the repetition lever height
>adjustment, must be made before letoff, drop, etc

but adjusting the rep spring will change the rep lever height ( and hammer
line),  and changing the checking height will require an adjustment in the
strength of the spring (maybe), and you can't really assess checking height
without having some kind of let off...etc.   Small measurements are always
critical, sometimes. :)  At some point, the effects of further refinement
become, spiritual, philosophical, or egotistical, (or pathological) but not
discernibly physical, so the process can cease.

>But too little (jack too high, lever too low) takes the rep lever out of
>the ball game entirely as far as repetition is concerned.

As always, I may be wrong, but it seems that your description above is
actually reversed.  If the lever is too low, the jack will not easily, or
at all, return under the knuckle.  In subsequent key stroke,  hammer will
be propelled ONLY by rep lever, which, of course, cannot produce let off.

While I am unfamiliar with the particular piano in question, I am reminded
of a similar problem I had with some early Renner USA - Steinway
replacement parts.  I found establishing stable hammer line almost
impossible.  The process of adjusting the rep lever height seemed to go
directly from being too high (slight lost motion & unstable hammer line) to
too low - jacks would resist complete return.  I ultimately tracked the
problem (I believe) to a discrepancy between the arc inscribed by the top
of the jack and the profile of the top of the rep lever arm (cradle?)  If
regulated precisely at the same height, at rest, the arc of the jack top
would dip below the lever profile as soon as it's travel began, thus
eliminating the tactile sensation of the jack dragging along the
knuckle.  By the time one was able to accomplish the standard
benchmarks...slight drag and hammer wink, the jack top was significantly
above the lever, and resisted return.

David Skolnik