Alan's Maxim and partial answer to: Puzzler for a rainy Sunday afternoon ...

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:56:03 +0100

After reading Davids S post I have to concur with what he says, and am
left wondering how any of this can bear on your origional problem.   And
have the following comment to throw out..

A ball park regulation will allow letoff  unless something is keeping
the jack from moving far enough. I have to assume Alans rough regulation
was good enough.  I am left with the feeling that there is something
that hasnt been said yet.

Let me see if I have this right. You adjusted letoff /*and confirmed*/
letoff with the action out of the piano but upon insertion the hammers
jam against the stings ?

RicB

I recopy (with line shifts) the origional querrie...
--------------------
Chinese Steck grand. G4 will not let off, period. Checked and adjusted
drop, letoff, blow, etc., etc. Increased drop, decreased letoff,
whatever. It just would not cycle through and let off. Removed front
punching to make sure aftertouch was more than enough: no help, hammer
lifts into strings and it would go higher still. No foreign objects,
excessive wear, or anything of that sort.

There was the tiniest (and I mean tiniest) teeny, itty-bitty, puny,
little thing that made all the difference in the world--more than you'd
ever guess possible unless you've seen the effect.

This ought to be a good and instructive puzzler, especially for people
who are just learning grand regulation or preparing for the technical exam.

What was it?