hammer "throw" on hard blow

Marcel Carey mcpiano@videotron.ca
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:47:18 -0400

Dave,

I had not caught that you were talking about uprights. I've seen this
problem often (Hamiltons and a few others). The problem also happened
in the treble so I don't think the hammer boring is at fault. I've
noticed that the shanks were not aligned with the hammer butt. It's
the way the hammers are hanged. They install the butts and then glue
the hammer shanks with the hammers already glued. They usually do this
in the piano and align the hammers to the strings. If you align your
eyesight with the middle of the action you will probably notice that
there is an angle at the butt-shank joint. This is why hammershanks
are files(tapered) in the bottom so the side angle can be adjusted to
mate the strings. This makes OK for string mating, but on hard blow it
clearly make the hammers wobble.

Have a good look and let us know if this applies to your problem
pianos.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC